Priced Right company logo, a penguin wearing a hat giving a thumbs up while also holding a toolbox

Furnaces, Carbon Monoxide and the Potential Dangers they Create

Furnaces, Carbon Monoxide & the Potential Dangers They Create

If you inhale any amount of carbon monoxide, it can result in illness, and even death. If your HVAC system begins to malfunction, it may lead to carbon monoxide leaks in the home, which can endanger your life, as well as your families. If you want to avoid this situation, you need to have working carbon monoxide detector in place.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that usually occurs because of incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. It is considered a direct and cumulative poison. The harmful effects that carbon monoxide cause will differ from one person to another, based on how much is in the air. The maximum concentration that is allowed for continuous exposure in any living area is nine parts per million. If the concentration reaches 16 hundred parts per million, then death will occur within an hour.

The Importance of Proper Installation, Inspection and Testing

You need to have every one of your appliances that uses carbon monoxide tested by a HVAC professional with an instrument that is able to detect any carbon monoxide, or that can analyze the combustion gases.

Keep in mind, there is not any substitution for proper installation and having regular inspections done by professionals to prevent issues with carbon monoxide. It is best to have fuel burning appliances tested each year to make sure they are working properly.

Properly Maintained Appliances and CO Detectors can Help Save Lives

A heat exchanger may fail prematurely because of corrosion and cracking. Each of these situations can be caused by uneven air flow or insufficient air flow over the heat exchanger. If the air distribution system has not been installed or designed properly, then the heat exchanger may run at a temperature that is too high, or it may develop hot spots. The best way to prevent CO issues because of the problems mentioned here is to have appliances inspected regularly for problems.

Signs of CO Risks in Your Home

There are some subtle signs that you may be exposed to CO in your home. Getting to know what these signs are may help save your life and prevent illness. These signs include:

  • You always feel better when you leave your house
  • Everyone in your house is sick at the same time
  • Those who are most affected are individuals who spend most of their time at home
  • You suffer swollen lymph nodes, body aches, fever and other symptoms that are common with the flu and other infections
  • Your symptoms get worse when fuel burning equipment is being used

If you suspect that there is a carbon monoxide leak in your home, you should not wait to take action. The fact is, this is a dangerous and even deadly gas that can have devastating effects on you and your family. Keeping your gas burning appliances properly maintained and repaired is the best way to prevent issues.

Contact Person

Priced Right heating and cooling small divider

Our Location

Priced Right heating and cooling small divider

Service Areas

Priced Right heating and cooling small divider
Scroll to Top